Tags: relationships, commitment, signs of a successful relationship
It may be magic how you met and fell in love, but when it comes to keeping that flame burning, you need more than magic. You need to work on it. That’s right, when you want to your relationship to be sailing smoothly; you have to work on it. And it’s not just any work, certain sacrifices and compromises should be made, and sometimes those sacrifices and compromises can be mean getting rid the things you love doing and having for the sake of your relationship. That is why, with all the selflessness and efforts, you need to know that you are heading the right course.
You deserve to know if all your hard work is paying off; therefore here are some signs of a successful relationship.
• You watch each other’s back. This is probably one of the best signs that you are in a meaningful and loving relationship. Knowing that someone is watching out for you, gives you that sense of security and fulfillment, a sense of deep joy, and achievement. Having someone as an ally for life is the best gift you can have in this lifetime. You may scream and shout; curse and point fingers at each others at times, but when tides are tough, you know you have someone to lean on. This deep trust gives both of you the feeling of belongingness and unconditional acceptance, this really makes all your sacrifice worth it.
• You become the bigger person. In relationships, pain, hurt, and disappointments are inevitable. There will be instances when your partner would disappoint you, and would make you feel that everything is just wrong, but instead of playing games like power playing, getting even, eluding, or emotional blackmailing, you take the high road and deal with the problem with your head on your shoulders. Instead of blowing your mind, you control your emotions and still manage to think of the welfare of your partner. In other words, you become the bigger person, always ready to compromise and forgive.
• Fighting fair. Conflicts and arguments are not only unavoidable in relationships, but it is also necessary. Both of you understands that arguments and conflicts are needed for growth and improvement of your relationship. You know that fighting is normal in the relationship. Having this understanding makes you fight for the solution, not to hurt each other, thus strengthening your relationship with every conflict you have instead of weakening it.
• You choose your battles. This means you know when to shut up. It doesn’t mean that because you are aware that fighting is normal, you pick a fight in every chance you get. Both of you know when to keep quite and not comment. You know about timing, you know when to agree or even lie at the moment. This indicates that you know each other enough to understand that there are something’s not worth fighting over.
• You are not afraid to be yourself. This is another gift in the relationship that can be worth all your sacrifices and compromises, and that is having someone who you can be yourself, without any fear of rejection and judgment. With this accepting and non- judgmental atmosphere, you are sure to become your best self.
About the author
The author of this article, Ruth Purple, is a successful Relationship Coach who has been helping and coaching individuals and couples for many years. Get your copy of Ruth's latest ebook on Finding Mr. Right. Discover how you can Find Your True Love here.
Share this article
You may reprint this article in its entirety on your web site, newsletter or ezine, providing you leave the About the author sections intact. You may not alter the contents.